Friday, May 1, 2015

Morning Sickness Must-Haves!

Morning sickness has to be the worst early pregnancy symptom by far! I actually lost 7 pounds during my first trimester due to not being able to keep anything down. My doctor offered me a prescription for anti-nausea meds, but I am trying to have a very organic pregnancy. Home remedies only, please! Especially after hearing about the terrible side effects of some of these medications. So here are some safe solutions I discovered:

-Take your prenatal vitamins at night!
I don't quite know why this helps, but it does! If you are still getting sick from them, you can take 2 Flintstone vitamins daily until you're feeling better, but you always want to go back to prenatals! They contain what's best for your baby!

-Keep plain crackers at your bedside
And eat a few before you get out of bed in the morning. Saltines are great, personally I prefer oyster crackers because they are bite sized so I don't end up with crumbs in my bed. I frequently wake up hungry in the middle of the night so I love having a snack at arms reach!

-Eat frequently throughout the day.
An empty stomach is a recipe for nausea. Breakfast has become so important for me. If I start my day with an empty stomach, I inevitably get nauseous and then it becomes impossible to eat anything for the rest of the day. Eventually I can't tell if I'm sick of just hungry. I've never been big on breakfast so it's still hard for me to eat a lot in the morning so normally just a yogurt or some fruit is enough to give me a headstart on the day.

-Be mindful of what baby "likes".
I love having cake for breakfast, unfortunately my baby does not. I am constantly trying to eat donuts in the morning, and it never ends well. Pay attention to what your body tells you, it's changing a lot and so is your appetite.

-Sea bands, sea bands, SEA BANDS!!
The best $10 I have ever spent, I highly recommend every expecting mom to get a pair of these! They are motion sickness bands that work on pressure points in your wrists. The less you wear them, the more effective they are. When I first got them I wore them a good portion of the day, and now I only wear them at night. 

-Vitamin B6
My doctor suggested taking this daily instead of prescription medications to help curb nausea. I take it every night with my prenatals and it seems to work for me! It could very well be the placebo effect, but it can't hurt to take them anyway right?

These are just a few things that brought me relief, feel free to comment and remedies you'very discovered!

No comments:

Post a Comment